This is an interview by a Chinese media “Caijing” (Finance) to Dr. Jason H. Huang, who, as a member of expert team on COVID-19, has been working from the first COVID-19 case appearing in Texas. Dr. Huang is a Chinese-born American neurosurgeon and Chairman of Department of Neurosurgery at Baylor Scott & White Medical Center in Temple, TX. He is known for both clinical and research work in nervous system injury and repair, including traumatic brain injury, spinal trauma, and peripheral nerve injuries. He is the recipient of “U.S. News Top Docs”. (from Wikipedia)
The report is in Chinese (https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/BDzKoR9HIIwKGUtjglyg5w), but Google Translate will help to get the basic information.
Here is the summary of some important points he emphasized:
- America has missed its best time in battling against Coronavirus pandemic for many political, cultural and social reasons in US. The peak of this pandemic may show in the middle of April or the beginning of May, different from state to state. In Texas, the peak might be May 2.
- Same with Wuhan, New York is the city that the whole country needs to put all resources to fight this pandemic. Once NY wins, the whole country wins.
- Most American doctors and medical workers have no time or energy or feel the necessity to question about the origin of this Coronavirus. All people in the world should work together in this battle, since no country is an isolated island any more.
- Even if US is able to end this pandemic at the end of July or the start of August, as estimated now, there is still the potential risk of the second round of infection so more cautious actions are needed for longer term.
- 35 companies and university research institutes have already started their research on COVID-19 vaccine. It is estimated that 6-12 months later the invented vaccine will be approved and and put to wide use on human. On March 16, the first vaccine was already put to clinical experiment on patients in Seattle.
- More testing machines will be manufactured and put to use very soon to test on more people. Abbott Rapid Virus Testing kit can get the test result in five minutes for positive and 13 minutes for negative. Once this six-pound machines are mass manufactured and put to use, each day 50,000 people can receive testing.
- US has very strong potential in production and social capacity to provide enough medical resources into treatment. Now it is just a matter of time.
This report is one of the few, if not the only one, objective statement to the current COVID-19 situation and the prediction to its development and plan of treatment. That’s why I would like to share with you.
——More about Dr. Huang——
Dr. Huang graduated magna cum laude from Amherst College, and received his medical degree from John Hopkins University School of Medicine. Dr. Huang was an Army Reserve neurosurgeon and was deployed to Iraq in 2008 in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and received an Army Commendation Medal and was honorably discharged at the rank of lieutenant colonel in 2012.
After serving as an attending neurosurgeon at Strong Memorial Hospital and Highland Hospital in Rochester, NY for 7 years, in 2014, Dr. Huang joined the faculty at Baylor Scott & White Health to become the director of the neuroscience institute and chairman of the neurosurgery department. He was appointed Professor of Surgery at Texas A&M University College of Medicine. He also successfully built up an ACGME-accredited residency training program, for which he serves as the program director. (from Wikipedia)
A video about Abbott Rapid Virus Testing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RwNtxvPMAA